Tascam isnt the best for recording creates a lot of hiss amplifying line in from Mic.
Sound Mixer is a better alternative to the Tascam less hiss and a higher quality input recording.
Record closer you can always add reverb in post.
Recording too close can make sounds feel fake, too far picks up too much background noise.
Parabolic tahlinga picks up chrisp clear sounds, but bigger issues with ambient sound.
Contact microphones limited but pick up great sounds from metallic objects.
Waveform squaring off tells you it is peaking as it wants to go higher but their isnt enough room left.
Directional mic closer goes bassier weightier.
Recording really quiet sounds
Nt2000 condensor microphone great small amount of hiss. The pre-amp, pro tools interface is the next step where titanic errors can be made.
Rode Nt1as really good affordable microphone.
Distance in recording is critical even in a sealed, purpose built space, too near – distortion. Too far – Too much reverb.
Recording really loud soundsFilter buttons really important can take away or overwhelm with bass or treble. Loud sounds more boom more impact nearer.Filter buttons really important can take away or overwhelm with bass or treble. Loud sounds more boom more impact nearer.
General role is not to have audio redlight or clip but sometimes it can work and be useful to add character to sounds
I attended a workshop with audio technical expert Michele. The focus of the workshop was at first a introduction and recap so that he could work out what areas we would like to take advantage of his expertise and later the purpose would be to create a community driven sound effect database for other students to use. I decided to attend this lecture as i wanted to go back to basics and learn professional technical audio recording and post production from someone who is clearly passionate and dedicated to the sound field.
Quick outline of knowledge gained from workshop –
– Dialogue is best recorded in mono to make the element stand out later in the mix. Atmosphere or background sounds are best recorded in stereo to add width and presence without clashing with dialogue.
– Stereo can be made up of mono elements but stereo cannot be formatted back to mono. – The most important aspect or sound recording is keeping a consistent noise ratio between what you want to record and background sound.
– Never use camera gain as it raises both elements of the ratio which is a nono.
– General mics you want to use for field recording are Dynamic, Condenser and Contact. The best way to record with contact mic is to tape to item of clothing or talents skull.
– Two methods of recording in terms of placement the A and B technique which places two mics equal distance to form a triangle pointed at object of attention. Better used for small spaces with fewer reflections places without clutter. To create a wider mix and sense of space and the epsilon technique which is placing both mics next to each other when in larger spaces with less reflections and places with clutter, create a more even sound.
He also set a target to record several household sounds in order to contribute to the sound library.
With this in mind i recorded, Sound of Boiler, Sound of Door opening, Sound of Tap dripping, sound of phone dial tone. I did in the most basic way with a Tascam to outline the quality of my recordings at the start of the module in order to reflect on when my skills have developed with more advanced kit and post production.
Phone off the hook